Do you ever look in your closet and think “I have nothing to wear”?
This was me. Every. Single. Morning. Sounds funny coming from a person who works in the fashion industry, right?
I used to spend a lot of money on clothes without thinking twice, and I would have absolutely no problem opening up my closet and slipping into something cute without issue. Then I bought a house. These days, most of my extra pocket cash goes towards home renovations and home decor. So now when I enter my closet every morning, it’s often a struggle. Is anyone else with me on this?!
With this all-too-familiar struggle in mind, here are a few tips that help give me a clear vision of what’s in my closet, and can help me stay inspired with my wardrobe.
1) Do a yearly inventory! Know what you own. I find it extremely overwhelming if my closet is packed full and unorganized. I like to go through my closet every so often to organize and create outfits, and then donate anything that has been sitting there taking up space that I am no longer wearing. Don’t fall in love with everything – be logical and critical! “Have I worn this in the last 8-12 months?” If the answer is “no,” in the donation bag it goes!
2) I find it helpful to pick out outfits the night before, especially if I have a big meeting or if I just feel like looking extra nice the next day. This also gives you a few extra minutes of sleep if you are not a morning person like me! It makes a difference!
3) Swapping out your closet season to season is important. Put away your heavy jackets and chunky knit sweaters along with any other winter items to make room for spring and summer. Your closet should be organized for every season. I have stackable fabric boxes from Ikea that have a floral print-- they add a feminine touch to my closet while being functional! For those of you who don’t have to deal with the endless, oppressive, frozen nightmare that is Canadian winter, well...aren’t you lucky :).
4) Another fun thing I like to do is to host clothing swaps with my friends! This adds an instant update to your wardrobe without spending a dime. I've been to large organized swaps, but usually host a small swap with my girlfriends every year.
5) If I'm ever feeling really uninspired with my closet I like to look in fashion magazines and check out bloggers’ websites for inspiration. This helps me create outfits with my existing wardrobe and sometimes inspires me to buy a little thing or two :). Sometimes I just have to sacrifice that pretty new decor pillow to buy that pretty new dress. A girl’s gotta look good, right?
6) Since “fast fashion” is so popular now, it’s easy to go through clothes season to season and it’s fun to keep up with trends, however I think it’s important to invest in quality pieces that will last and carry through from season to season. Having these key quality items will be the foundation of your wardrobe. Good quality goes a long way – I have a pair of jeans that I basically live in.
7) The most important piece of advice I can give is to make your closet inviting - if you can't find what you’re looking for, it can be pretty frustrating if you're in a pinch. Even the smallest closets can be updated. My suggestion is to swap out mismatched plastic hangers for good quality matching ones (and good grief, get rid of those wire Laundromat hangers!). Colour-code your clothes by category, and even showcase some shoes/accessories that complement your favorite outfits. I've seen some pretty dreamy closets! Mine is still a work in progress, however I do follow these simple steps to make my life easier in the morning. Looking into a clutter-free space every morning will start your day off right.
8) Own your style, and don’t get frustrated by trying to keep up with the latest trends. Have fun with your wardrobe... buy things that make you feel comfortable, confident, and uniquely you!
I hope these tips help you in the mornings. They have been a life saver for me!